facebooktwitteryoutube
in News - 16 Apr, 2017
by Curtis - no comments
Historical Funeral Home In Clintonville Listed For Sale

A historic property which serves as a funeral home in Clintonville has been listed by the owners for sale. This place was once a stop included in the Underground Railroad. The neighbours are not happy about the news because they fear that there are developers who will fill the location with apartments and condos because it is located along the Walhalla Ravine.

The sale came after the partnership made between Rutherford Funeral homes and Southwick-Good & Fortkamp Funeral Chapel located at 3100 N. High Street. The owner of the historic funeral home is William Good together with Susan Southwick-Good, his wife. The couple is currently considering one particular offer but as of the moment, there are no contracts to be signed yet. Based on the appraisal of the property, it costs around $1.5 million and Good admitted that the offer is also within that range.

He shared that there are a lot of investors that are interested with the site because it is strategically located at Clintonville’s southern part.

According to Good, they decided to sell the property because there is nothing more for them to do since they have decided to close down the business and they are already entering retirement. This is how things are for business.

The neighbours are anxious about the sale because of the project that might be proposed after it is bought. According to the area commissioner of Clintonville, Libby Wetherholt, she has nothing against the couple’s decision to sell their property but the fact that the site is considered as one of the historic property in Clintonville should be taken in consideration.

The building of the funeral home is house to the Clinton Chapel which was built back in 1838. The records from the Ohio History Connection shows that the chapel was once a stop included at the Underground Railroad and this is where the church members aided the slaves who have escaped to achieve their freedom. The basement of the Church used to be the slaves hiding place.

It was in 1938 when R.L. Southwick bought the property and transformed it into a funeral home. While a funeral director in Rockingham might agree that it is a loss to sell the building, the owners admitted that it is impossible to maintain because of the cost and the high taxes along with it.