Tourists flocking to Ho Chi Minh City are making the drive to Cu Chi tunnels which are an hour drive from the town center. During the war, these tunnels served as safe houses for some of the Vietnamese fighters.
The entrance of the tunnels is located inside a family home in District 10. In the middle of 1950s, the house was known as Secret Cellar B. Inside the house was where the printing press was established and it was used by revolutionary Vietnamese forces to print out propaganda materials. They chose to house it underground to avoid being raided.
The placed was preserved and it was not altered for around 60 years. Inside one of the rooms is a teak wardrobe and opening the door will lead to the tunnels. For those who wish to visit the tunnels, they have to go inside the wardrobe and into a hole which is only as wide as a regular person’s shoulder. After passing through the tunnels, which are tight and with only enough crawling space, visitors will reach the cellar.
According to Tim Doling, a tourist guide in Ho Chi Minh City, the south is controlled by the French during 1951 and the north handled the revolutionary activities. Inside the tunnels are transistor radios and they used it to transcribe any news that is bound to happen in the north. This news is broadcasted so that the locals will be inspired to support the movement for revolution.
In order to provide ventilation for people who are housed inside the tunnel, another one was dug up and a well was revealed which provided air flow.
It was revealed that the excavation was done somewhere in the months of February until the month of May in the year 195. It was used until 1957 before it was covered in 1959 to make sure no one finds it.
Doling shared that it may not be a tourist material but the place holds something quite special in the history of Vietnam.
Visitors who wish to visit the tunnels are required to schedule an appointed with the Office for Culture, Sports and Tourism in District 10.