Buying orchids wholesale has numerous benefits and one of these is your chance to save money on actual price and shipping costs. However, you should not jump in and buy the first set of orchids available in the market when you can be extra careful in choosing especially that orchids are perishable and buying haphazardly can lead to wasting your time and money. Here are some tips to ensure that you will get fresh orchids in excellent condition for a long time.
- Inspect the orchid. Give it a little shake. The orchid must be firmly rooted on the pot. Otherwise, it must have been recently potted or it must have poor or unhealthy roots. It is also important to be familiar with the type of mixture suitable for the orchid. Take note that the mixture, watering techniques and potting may differ from one orchid to another.
- If you bought orchids wholesale and had it shipped to your address, make sure to repot them to another pot with the right mixture to prevent the orchid from rotting. The mixture used in shipping is only good while the orchids are being transported and should not be used as its permanent soil.
- There are different types of orchids and it is important that you know exactly what you are buying. Check the label. Apart from the plant name, it should also contain vital information such as caring tips, watering techniques and the right potting method. For more information such as the right environment for the orchid, check the internet.
- Find out how long the plant has been on display at the store. Do not just rely on the word of the seller. Learn how to spot fresh orchids from those that are unhealthy.
- One indication of a healthy orchid is it has healthy looking leaves. They should be bright green especially at the upper part of the plant. It is only natural to have yellowing leaves below the orchids wholesale since they naturally age and die. Look for signs of insect consumption at the leaves including webs and pests.